So I learned last night that our submission to NSDI was accepted. It described the methodology for a tool we built which we can Distalyzer. Distalyzer works to help developers diagnose performance problems in their systems. It works by utilizing a minimal amount of structure from the logs, and then doing two kinds of analysis (t-tests and dependency networks) to discover the most relevant and most divergent aspects of groups of log instances. We have used it to find bugs in Transmission and H-Base, and applied it to other another system’s problem (TritonSort) to show reductions in effort needed to diagnose the problem.
Soon there will be a blog post at our research group website which describes it in more detail, but I wanted to go ahead and post about the good news.